Monday, February 20, 2017

Is Milo Yiannopoulos human?

Image result for milo yiannopoulosMilo Yiannopoulos (not to be mistake for Milo Ventimiglia, gorgeousness and all) is a troll, something we all know but Milo is also the kind of man that sets humanity back in ways which can not be measured. In the periphery of pop culture, I had heard of him, especially his attack on Leslie Jones. Truth be told, I myself was not a fan of Ms. Jones when she first arrived on the scene of SNL but after watching her become comfortable in her place on camera and in the Ghostbusters reboot, (terribly maligned by horrible misogynists) I quickly saw the humanity in her comedy which was endearing. What Milo Y. did to her was the opposite of human, it was monstrous. It lacked human compassion.

I became a Buddhist about 4 years ago. The Buddhist way is about following The Noble Eightfold Path. For me the part of this path I find myself coming back to is Right Speech and Thought. This is hard when I see someone like Milo Y. speaking because my first thought is to fight him with the same arsenal he uses. That is a mistake. For one, Milo is better at it because he practices it on a minute to minute basis. He is up there with the likes of Perez Hilton who espouses to be a reformed bully but uses words to torment others with vile intentions. When a Buddhist meets a person like Milo, we are supposed to come at them with compassionate listening to understand why they are who they are. We are supposed to see the humanity in them. But my instincts I honed from my trailer hood days tells me some monsters wear human clothes to operate in this world. Milo Y. is not a human so therefore compassionate listening doesn't work. Milo Y. is a monster. I believe evil does incarnate. And sometimes it takes on familiar forms. 

Milo is a problem in many ways and I don't want this post to become a tl;dr one. But again how do you solve someone like him who says he represents gays when he also represents the worst in us and enjoys it? Men like Perez Hilton and Milo Y. thrive off of destructive rancor. Maybe to fight these types of virulent incarnations is to shed sunlight on them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment